5 lg Ripe pears (about 2 3/4
1/4 c Apple juice
1/4 c Packed light-brown sugar
1/4 c Granulated sugar
2 tb All-purpose flour
2 tb Lemon juice
1/2 ts Each ground cinnamon, ginger
4 Sheets phyllo dough, thawed
Non-stick cooking spray
1 ts Granulated sugar
1. Heat oven to 400 F. Have ready a 9-inch pie plate and a jelly-roll
pan (to catch drips).
2. Quarter, peel and core pears. Cut each quarter crosswise in
1/2-inch-thick slices. Put pears and remaining Filling ingredients in
a large, heavy saucepan.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 to 12 minutes,
stirring occasionally, until pears are tender but not mushy. Spoon
mixture into 9-inch pie plate. Let cool slightly.
4. Lay 1 sheet phyllo over filling. Spray all over with nonstick
cooking spray. Lay second sheet crosswise over first and spray.
Continue layering and spraying remaining 2 sheets phyllo, slightly
overlapping each one.
5. Gather edges of phyllo and rest on rim of pie plate to make a
ruffled edge. Spray edges, then sprinkle entire top with remaining
teaspoon sugar. Cut slits through all layers phyllo for steam to
escape while baking.
6. Place pie plate on jelly-roll pan. Bake 12 minutes or until phyllo
is golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.