6 sl Bacon
1 lb Ground beef
1 c Whole kernel corn, fresh OR
-frozen OR canned
1/4 c Chopped green chile
3 Green onions, chopped
1/4 c Cornmeal
1/4 ts Oregano
1 ts Ground pure hot red chile
1 ts Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 ts Ground comino
8 oz Tomato sauce
Cornmeal Piecrust (recipe
1/4 c Evaporated milk
1/2 ts Dry mustard
2 c Grated Monterey Jack cheese
4 Stuffed olives, sliced
1. Fry bacon until crisp; break into large pieces. Set side. Chill
bacon drippings until firm for use in the crust.
2. Brown ground beef in a large skillet; drain off fat. Stir in next
10 ingredients. Reserve egg, evaporated milk, etc. for the top crust.
3. Prepare the piecrust, and use it to line a 9-inch pie pan. Place
meat mixture in the pan. Bake at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine egg, evaporated milk, mustard and cheese.
Spread on top of the pie and decorate with the reserved bacon pieces
and the sliced olives. Bake for 5 minutes longer, or until cheese
meltes. Let stand for 10 minutes, or until firm, before serving.
CORNMEAL PIECRUST (1 crust for 9-inch pie): 1 cup all purpose flour 2
Tbsp cornmeal 1/3 cup firm bacon rippings OR other shortening 3 4
Tbsp cold water
1. Combine flour and cornmeal, then cut in bacon drippings. When
mixture is granular, add the water, in small quantities to insure a
flaky crust, until pastry is mixed.
2. Roll out on a floured surface to a circle 1 1/2 times larger than
the inverted 9-inch pie pan. Fit pastry into pan and form a fluted
edge all around.
Maximum recommended freezer storage: 2 months.
Makes 6 servings.