1 lb Potatoes
— (weighed after peeling)
8 oz Peeled onions
6 oz Finely grated Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
1/2 pt Milk
1 ts Marmite
1 oz Chopped, unsalted nuts
1/4 ts Paprika
1. Cut potatoes into very thin sices.
2. Slice onions thinly and separate into rings.
3. Fill a 3- to 3-1/2 pint greased heatproof dish with alternate
layers of potatoes, onion rings and cheese. Begin and end with a
layer of potatoes and sprinkle salt and pepper lightly between layers.
4. Heat milk until hot, add Marmite and stir until dissolved.
5. Pour into dish over vegetables and cheese.
6. Sprinkle with nuts and paprika then cover with lid or aluminium
7. Cook in centre of moderate oven (350 F or Gas No. 4) for 1-1/2
hours. Uncover and continue to cook for a further half hour or until
potatoes are tender.
8. Serve hot.