900 g New potatoes, scrubbed and
-cut into 5mm/1/4 inch thick
2 Bulbs fennel, roughly
2 tb Olive oil
4 Onions, finely chopped
2 Cloves garlic, crushed
225 g Flat mushrooms, sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
25 g Breadcrumbs
2 tb Freshly chopped parsley
Handful of fresh basil
-leaves, torn into pieces
2 pk (125g) Mozarella Cheese,
125 g Vegetarian Cheddar cheese,
1. Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water for 10-15 minutes, until
tender. Drain, then push through a sieve.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
3. Cook the roughly chopped fennel in salted boiling water for about 7
minutes, until tender, then drain.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onions and fry for 5-10 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and cook
for a further 2 minutes. Season.
5. Sprinkle half the breadcrumbs over the base of a shallow ovenproof dish.
Add half the mushrooms and onions, fennel, parsley, basil, mozzarella and
cheddar cheeses and potatoes in layers. Repeat these layers, finishing with
a layer of potatoes, and sprinkling over the remaining breadcrumbs.
6. Bake for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve straight from the
oven with a crisp green salad.
NOTES : This recipe is typical of Apulia in southern Italy.