2 tb Green pepper, chopped
2 tb Onion, chopped
1 ts Oil
1 c Dried kidney beans; cooked
1/2 c Tomato puree
1 c Whole-kernel corn
1 1/2 ts Chili powder
1/8 ts Salt
1/3 c Yellow cornmeal
3/4 c Water
1/16 ts Salt
1/4 ts Chili powder
2 servings of about 1 cup filling and 1/3 cup cornmeal mush each 296
calories per serving
1. Cook green pepper and onion in off in small (8-inch) frypan until
2. Stir in beans, tomato puree, corn, 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder,
and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
3. Cover and cook over low heat until flavors are blended–about 15
4. Mix cornmeal, water, and 1/16 teaspoon salt.
5. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until very thick-about 3
6. Spread cornmeal mush over bean mixture to form a crust.
7. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon chili powder over top of crust.
8. Cook over low heat, with lid ajar, until topping is set–about 7
*NOTE: 1 cup canned kidney beans, drained, may be used in place of
cooked dried kidney beans; then omit the 1/8 teaspoon salt in step 2.
About 270 calories per serving.
* Thrifty Meals for Two: Making Food Dollars Count * USDA Home and
Garden Bulletin Number 244 * Meal-